Tuesday 15 March 2022

Penrhys Pilgrimage Way: Day 2 Llantrisant to Penrhys


Today I completed my pilgrimage to "Our Lady of Penrhys" and admired the view down the Rhondda Valley from the statue.

Our lady of Penrhys.

The day did not start well, my train to Pontyclun was cancelled, a shortage of signallers apparently. My hour's wait for the next train gave me the excuse to buy a coffee and croissant for a second breakfast. From Pontyclun I followed a path by the River Ely, in a green corridor between housing, with trees bordering the water. After walking by the shops of Talbot Green I climbed steep cobbled alleyways, following a fairly random route to the ancient square in Llantrisant, there re-joining the Pilgrimage Way where I had left it previously. Having climbed up the ridge on which this village stands I then went down the other side between terraced housing to join a quiet road over a marshy common in the flat valley beyond. According to a helpful sign the common was a "Site of Special Scientific Interest" rich in plant species, unlike the somewhat muddy fields of grass that followed.

My next interesting section was a walk along an old abandoned railway line, in a valley of trees, bare of leaves in this month of March. A lone, fat pig rootled around in the undergrowth in the valley bottom, fortunately safely secured behind a wire fence. Beyond a certain point the path was closed but the Penrhys Pilgrimage Way website advised where to leave the old railway, detouring around the closed section on public footpaths. although I was somewhat impeded by high, temporary fencing erected across the route in violation of the "right of way". Presumably there to protect some shipping containers, a nearby public footpath sign made it clear they were breaking the law. A little later I again felt somewhat unwelcome. No Penrhys Pilgrimage waymarks had been installed around Tre-boath farm (or else they had been removed) and generic footpath signs were also missing. I relied on the OutdoorActive App on my mobile phone to make sure I was on the public footpath, which took me to the outskirts of Tonyrefail on a well used trail between fields of horses.

After the white houses of Tonyrefail the path climbed over rough ground revealing larger views over the ground I had just covered and beyond. The remainder of the walk was in the landscape of "The Valleys". Cutting deep, the valley bottoms and lower slopes were dressed with lines of terraced houses. Steep sides, with cliffs of rocks in some parts, trees in others, rose to high ground, farmed for sheep. Once famed for their coal mines and iron working, those industries are now long gone, ending with the bitter miners' strike of 1984. For a long time after an air of grey depression and unemployment permeated the valleys but today I thought the area looked brighter, the sun reflecting off white painted houses. I could spot a few slag heaps, huge piles of waste rock brought out of the mines, once a grey blot on the landscape, they have now turned a shade of green or brown, as they have either been landscaped or else nature has finally gained a grip on their inhospitable surface of loose shale.

Terraced housing typical of "The Valleys" by Dinas

I climbed out of the settlement of Trebanog on a track which slashed across the hillside, fortified by a Coke and Mars bar from a nearby shop, crossing a pass over the higher sheep pasture, before dropping down into Dinas in the Rhondda Valley. On my way down I chatted with a farmer. Unlike some Welsh farmers he was well disposed towards hikers. After checking I knew the way (I showed him the track on my GPS) he talked of the sheep about to lamb in his shed, the Shetland Ponies for his daughter and a donkey that brayed if anyone was coming up the road. He commented that there were alternative ways to Penrhys, but I was guided by the website which took me straight up the opposite side of the valley. A steep pull, initially up steps, then a road and path, 200 metres vertically climbed over not much more distance. Looking back down the valley, admiring the view was a good excuse to catch my breath and allow my heart rate to fall. I pondered that if pilgrimages were easy, requiring no effort, then we would not deserve to have our sins absolved at the end of it. This steep, sweaty ascent certainly required considerable effort and exertion. 

As is the nature of "The Valleys", at the top of the climb the land flattened out. There was a well groomed golf course, a place where you could enjoy the views while your partner lined up their shot. At the last green I could see the statue that was the focus of this trail, a small white finger, on the valley side, above the russet brown of last years bracken, in front of the scattered white houses of Penrhys village. Beyond on the next hillside was a conifer plantation and to the left of it a collection of wind turbines. Many people dislike them, I had seen signs protesting a new wind farm earlier in my walk today, however to me their thin, tall, white columns are elegant, and the regally, rotating arms, somehow majestic. It is not as if the landscape before me was in anyway natural. Its temperate forests were cleared millennia ago. Wind turbines and the solar panels I could see glinting on some of the housing below me seemed preferable to the dirt and grime of the coal industry that was once synonymous with the Welsh valleys. In my youth a thousand coal fires from the terraced houses would have cast a smoky grey smog across the valley. How much cleaner are the white windmills and the silver panels?

Golf course with old slag heap beyond.

I walked down to the statue of Our Lady. I looked at her holding the baby Jesus. Bunches of flowers had been placed at the base of the pedestal. A group of people walked by. I took a few photos, looked down the Rhondda valley, then headed downhill to the station. My train home had been cancelled, a signalling fault. I sighed and waited another half hour for the next one.


Rhondda Valley, not quite all green at this time of year, but no longer grey, smoky and dusty.






No comments:

Post a Comment